Capitol Reef National Park

Hanksville certainly is a small town but our room at the Whispering Sands motel was clean and the included continental breakfast was good. The toaster worked great with bagels something mine never seems to do. On the road a little before 9 going east on Utah 24 it deserves it’s designation as a scenic highway even before we got into Capitol Reef National Park.

BTW, I’m posting this from the WordPress app on my iPad so the formatting may be a bit wonky.
We passed Fruitia before we arrived at the ranger station and the plan was to go back and pick some cherries and visit the old settlement and see the ranger presentation on petroglyphs after taking the scenic “drive”. You notice I said plan which means we didn’t make it back but I’ll get to that.

Lovely morning, cooler than yesterday with almost no wind. With only 37 mikes to cocer we were in the park before 10 and talked to the rangers about spurs off the scenic route and short hikes before venturing up the road to the “reef” which isn’t a reef at all according to my geologist husband. He explained what it was but I’m not going to try and explain it here. The only fly in the ointment was the roadwork going on. I can’t believe how much.

In many places the road was down to one lane.
When we reached the official end of the road it also signaled the end of the pavement but the road continued as a one and a half lane dirt road. Despite my not being fan of riding on dirt unless I’m on an atv on we went for another mile or two until the road narrowed considerably with what looked to me like a deep sand trap in the middle of it. Room for a bike/scoot to go around but not a car. After I watched a pickup go through the sand and saw there real wasn’t room for even a bike to pass I decided to stop. Steve continued on. When he returned the sand almost stopped him. His comment was, it didn’t look that deep despite my having said it was before he headed into it. I should have waited for him with the camera turned video but it would haves just been churning sand.


Returning back to the paved road we met a car going up the road, as I said parts of the road were barely wide enough to allow a car and a bike to pass. I pulled over to the right and discovered what looked like the same graded surface was deep gravel which my back tire promptly sank into with not much of a firm surface to push against. Fortunately, I was able to get off without dumping me or the BV where my feet had firm purchase. A combination of throttle with a slight lift on the rear grab bar got me unstuck. I have to admit I was pleased to get out of the gravel sink not onle without dropping anything but on my own without assistance.

When we got back down the dirt road down the wash to a narrow box canyon I left Steve to do that one on his own. The road wasn’t in as good of shape as the first part of the other one. My scoot is almost 200 lbs heavier than his and I ha e the larger saddle bags, bigger top case, spare gas can and tools on mine which adds more plus the longer wheelbase. I’d had enough dirt riding for the day.

So I headed on down to the Gilford Homestead where they had homemade ice cream (I chose mulberry) and 5″ pies, plenty of preserves, relishes and other foodstuff, some of which I’d have bought if I had room to carry it.


When Steve rejoined me after we split a cherry pie heavy winds with gusts came out of nowhere along with big fat raindrops so we decided to head the 11 miles down the road to our hotel for the night. A nap later I’m writing this post. It looks like the storm has passed.


I may hop back on the bike closer to sundown and try for a few sunset photos if it stays clear.

This entry was posted in ride report and tagged . Bookmark the permalink.

Comments are closed.